Arise With The Guys
Arise With the Guys is our annual Men's-Only event where professional and collegiate Christian athletes share their inspirational messages of faith, godly values, and legacy-building.
Sat, Apr 14 | 9a - 10:30a
Grace Church Eden Prairie Campus
- Quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings, leading the team to a 13-3 regular season
record and the 2018 playoffs
- Former quarterback for the Houston Texans and St. Louis Rams
- NCAA’s all-time leader in passing yards, touchdowns, and completions
- Two-time conference USA Most Valuable Player
- Two-time award winner for the Sammy Baugh Trophy as the nation’s top collegiate passer
- 2018 Uncommon Award recipient (to be presented April 2018)
- Wide Receiver for the Minnesota Vikings
- Former player for Minnesota State University
- Led the Vikings with 967 receiving yards in 2016
- PFF 2014 All-NFC North Special Teamer of the Year
- Selected for Pro Bowl in 2017 season
- Inductee to the Pro Football Hall of Fame (August, 2016)
- Head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 1996 to 2001
- Head coach of the Indianapolis Colts from 2002 to 2008
- NBC Sports Analyst
- National spokesman for the fatherhood program All Pro Dad
New this Year: Arise with the Gals
Introducing a great outreach opportunity for women of all ages: Arise With The Gals. It’s the same morning as Arise With The Guys, but it's just a bit earlier. The morning will kick off with an optional Fun Run or Super Stretch, followed by a healthy breakfast bar, and then feature a powerful discussion on what it means to live with uncommon purpose.
Keynote speaker Lauren Dungy is the wife of the retired head coach and NBC commentator, Tony Dungy, an author, a teacher, and the mother of 10. Emcee and speaker Kim Anthony is a national champion gymnast, author, speaker, NFL chaplain (with her husband), and character-based leadership coach.
Sat, Apr 14 | 8a
(optional workout at 7:30a)
Grace Church Eden Prairie Campus Chapel
7:25a Optional Fitness Events
- Fun run 2K - 4K, run or walk (Meet at the Eden Prairie Road entrance)
- Super stretch - stretching, core and light aerobic 30 minutes (Grace Gym)
8a Healthy Breakfast Bar (Door 3 Lobby)
8:15a-10a Program (Chapel)
casual or ath-leisure wear
Promote At your church!
Your church has the opportunity to partner with Arise With The Guys for this popular event. This is a great opportunity for the men and boys in your church to make a huge difference in the life of a friend, neighbor, teammate, co-worker, or family member by offering them a personal invitation to join them.
See our resources below and let’s partner up to make this a huge success!
What does it mean to be Uncommon?
The mandate to be Uncommon actually came to me from three different sources. The first was my Dad. When I was growing up he always talked to us about not following the crowd, not doing something just because everyone else was doing it. He encouraged us to chase our own dreams, even if it meant being ridiculed for being different.
When I arrived at the University of Minnesota as a freshman football player, my coach, Cal Stoll, built upon my Dad’s theme. In our first meeting he said, “Success is uncommon, therefore not to be enjoyed by the common man.” He told us he was looking for men who had the attitude and desire to do what everyone else could do, but most people wouldn’t.
The third, and most important source of the Uncommon idea was the Bible. One of my Mom’s favorite scriptures was Matthew 7:13-14 where Jesus talks about entering through the narrow gate and traveling the narrow path rather than the broad highway. He was talking about salvation and the way to heaven but I think it applies to life as well.
We should never be afraid to take the tough road, to follow a higher calling or set a higher standard. In short, we should never be satisfied with being average, but should strive to be Uncommon.
Previous Uncommon Award Winners
Peyton Manning (2017)
Thomas Davis (2016)
Marcus Mariota (2015)
James Brown (2014)
Ken Sparks (2013)